When Can A Custody Or Support Order Be Modified?

It is not uncommon for parents to request changes to existing custody or child support orders. Too many parents make these requests without speaking to a lawyer first. This can have unfortunate results.

I recommend talking with an attorney about your case before you make any modification requests. At Paul Law Office, PLLC, in Burnsville, I represent people seeking and contesting modifications of post-decree orders. I can answer your questions and counsel you on how to move forward.

Can I Get More Time With My Children?

To change a parenting-time order, the requested change must be in the best interests of the child. Parental relocation, an older child's changing needs, and a change in the health of parent or child are some of the most common reasons for these modifications. Generally, there must be a valid reason for the request. Being unhappy with the arrangement is not a sufficient reason.

Can I Reduce My Child Support?

You need to be careful about requesting a child support modification. In many cases, people end up paying more than they were originally. It depends on the guidelines and formula, so you should speak with a lawyer before making the request.

Child support payments may be modified if one party has a substantial increase or decrease in income, a cost of living change, greatly increased health insurance costs or extraordinary medical expenses for a child.

You may terminate child support when the child reaches age 18 or graduates from high school. In some circumstances, you must terminate child support by going through the court; child support does not terminate on its own.

Call my Burnsville, Minnesota, law office today at 952-373-8704 for a free, 30-minute telephone consultation. Or you can contact me online, and I'll return your message shortly.