Establishing Rights To Your Child

When parents are not married, they must legally document their child's paternity before certain rights can begin. The father needs legal paternity before he may obtain custody and parenting time (visitation). The mother and child need it before they can file for child support.

Working with a lawyer can be the best way to approach paternity and fathers' rights matters. I am attorney Christopher L. Paul, in Burnsville, and I am prepared to help fathers and mothers throughout Minnesota who need assistance with these issues. Please contact me today to learn how I may help you.

What Are My Rights As A Father?

If paternity has been legally established or if the parents are married, mothers and fathers have equal rights to their children under the law. However, an unmarried father has no legal rights to his child even if he is named as the father on the birth certificate.

Establishing legal rights to a child is a straightforward process if the parents agree on paternity. The parents can legally acknowledge paternity by signing a recognition of parentage (ROP) document.

Unmarried fathers can also file paternity suits to prove, or disprove, paternity. If they wish to have legal rights to their children, fathers must establish paternity before they can file for child custody and parenting time.

Mothers can file a paternity suit to begin the child support process. Without a legal establishment of paternity, a child does not have rights to child support.

Let Me Help You

Call my Burnsville office at 952-373-8704 for a free, 30-minute telephone consultation today. You can also contact me online, and I will return your message shortly.