Obtaining An Equitable Division Of The Marital Estate

Dividing your possessions can seem frightening, but the division of the marital estate is a process that occurs in every divorce. With a lawyer's help, the process is not so overwhelming.

I am attorney Christopher L. Paul, and I have helped numerous people through the process of property division. I will explain the law to you so you understand how it applies in your case. From my Burnsville office, we will work together for a settlement agreement that is fair to you.

Who Gets The House?

This is one of the most common questions people have when it comes to division of assets. Minnesota is an equitable distribution state, which means that assets and debts are divided in a way that is fair to each person. This does not necessarily mean that each person receives an equal share, however.

To determine who gets the home, you must figure out if it is a marital or nonmarital asset. Generally, if it was acquired during the marriage, a house is considered marital property. Nonmarital property typically includes assets that are specified as separate property in a prenuptial agreement, owned by one person prior to the marriage, or a gift or inheritance received by one person. However, each case is unique, so it is best to discuss yours with a lawyer.

I Can Answer Your Questions

Call my Burnsville office at 952-373-8704 for a free, 30-minute telephone consultation. Or you can contact me online, and I'll return your message shortly.